How to Apply
You've got to be in it to win it!
Talk to your teacher if you are interested in applying for a Scholarship. Applications are open between early November and mid-January each year.
Your school must be affiliated to the Arkwright Scholarships Trust before you can apply for a Scholarship. If your school is not affiliated ask your teacher to complete the school affiliation form. Affiliation is quick, simple and FREE.
You must apply during year 11 (England and Wales), S4 (Scotland), year 12 (Northern Ireland). The Scholarship will be awarded as you begin year 12 (England and Wales), S5 (Scotland), year 13 (Northern Ireland) to study subjects which will prepare you for a university degree or higher-level apprenticeship and career in Engineering, computing or technical design.
A £40.00 administration fee is payable, by April, for each student application. This helps to cover the cost of Arkwright's rigorous selection process. This fee may be payable by the School or the applicant's parents depending on local arrangements (which are beyond the control of the Arkwright Scholarships Trust). Teachers should decide how best the fee can be paid.
The selection process consists of five stages:
- Online student application, endorsed by a teacher - November to January
- Two-hour student aptitude exam - February
- If you pass stages 1 and 2 then: 20-minute interview hosted at a university - March to April
- If you meet the Arkwright Standard we will then attempt to match you to a sponsoring organisation which will enable us to award you an Arkwright Engineering Scholarship - May to August
- The Scholarship are awarded at prestigious Awards Ceremonies in London and Edinburgh - October
Note: An integral part of every application is to show your practical ability through technical project work you have done at school or home. See below for more details of:
All details of the application and award process can be found in Sections 4 and 5, pages 7 to 12, of the Arkwright Handbook.
- Teachers nominate students by 19th Dec 2016
- Students send completed applications to teachers by 12th Jan 2017
- Teachers submit completed applications to Arkwright by 19th Jan 2017
- Aptitude Exam to be sat on afternoon of 1st Feb 2017
- Interviews are held mid-March to mid-April 2017
- Administration fee to be paid by 21st April 2017